GS1 Intellectual Property (IP) Policy Resource Library
Intellectual Property – IP – plays an important role in a broad range of areas, including science, technology, literature, the arts, Internet applications, healthcare sector solutions and more.
GS1 Work Groups specify business requirements, process, and specifications. Many patents either already exist or are being filed today in these areas.
As the world's premier global organisation for neutral, open standards in the supply chain, it is GS1's role to protect its community of users and their efforts and investments to the best of its ability. Our IP Policy is a key part of that effort.
Benefits to GS1 members who sign the IP Policy
- Receive a royalty-free license from work group participants to Necessary Claims that cover requirements of GS1 standards
- Receive the benefits of the safe haven of the IP Policy
- Receive early access to the GS1 standards
- Participation in standards development (to shape and contribute to the development of standards).
All GS1 standards are developed in accordance with this Policy. In order to participate in standards development, your company will be required to sign the GS1 IP Policy.
Rapid eLearning: Introduction to GS1 IP Policy
- For newcomers to IP
- GS1 Intellectual Property (IP) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Who must sign the GS1 IP Policy?
- What do I sign to participate in groups?
- Opting in and out of GSMP Work Groups
- "GS1’s IP Policy Made Simple"
- All GS1 IP Policy Forms