Welcome to the GS1 IP Policy Resource Library
Intellectual Property – IP – plays an important role in a broad range of areas, including science, technology, literature, the arts, Internet applications, healthcare sector solutions and more.
GS1 Work Groups specify business requirements, process, and specifications. Many patents either already exist or are being filed today in these areas.
As the world's premier global organisation for neutral, open standards in teh supply chain, it is GS1's role to protect its community of users and their efforts and investments to the best of its ability. Our new IP Policy is a key part of that effort.
Benefits to GS1 members who sign the IP Policy
- Receive a royalty-free license to Necessary Claims that cover requirements of GS1 standards
- Receive the benefits of the safe haven of the Intellectual Property Policy
- Receive early access to the GS1 standards
- Can participate in the standards development process (can shape and contribute to the development of the standards.)
All future GS1 standards will be developed in accordance with this Policy. In order to participate in standards development work groups under the new GSMP your company will be required to sign the new GS1 IP Policy.
Rapid eLearning: Introduction to GS1 Intellectual Property Policy
- For newcomers to IP
- GS1 Intellectual Property (IP) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Who must sign the GS1 IP Policy?
- What do I sign to participate in groups?
- Opting in and out of GSMP Work Groups
- Download our document called "GS1’s IP Policy Made Simple"
- All GS1 IP Policy Forms