Ewing (New Jersey)
Senior Director, Technology Operations
14 January 2020
GS1 is being positioned to deliver the next generation data services strategy to improve supply chain operations and transform the way retailers, manufacturers and healthcare conduct their business.
A large technology transformation initiative to develop a next generation cloud-based SaaS platform, supporting our core B2B and B2C service offerings is underway. This is a tremendous career opportunity for a strong Data Engineer who enjoys solving global scale problems by directly working with customers, business partners and being in the centre of it by delivering solutions related to data management.
The Azure Data Engineer is a perfect fit for a hands-on leader focused on software delivery and execution. This position will lead the redesign of our system architecture (databases, web applications, APIs, etc.) and deliver an enterprise class system on Microsoft Azure with a global userbase. The ideal candidate will combine strong leadership skills, hands-on technical capabilities in web development, and a knack for effectively managing technology to meet business goals.
This position will also participate in the digital transformation of our standards by helping architect GS1’s forward thinking foundation, creating APIs, identifying solutions for making the data dynamic, and creating seamless integration with third party tools.
Once familiar with the company, the industries we support and the given situation, this person will need to understand the goals and strategy behind every project from conception to completion of all websites, APIs, services and solutions.
- Work collaboratively as a member of the development team to build best-in-class software solutions in an agile environment.
- You will produce high-quality, secure, and maintainable code in an agile environment
- You will identify areas to improve and scale our Azure architecture and application design.
- Develop, implement, and support interfaces that connect our websites, back-end systems, and various 3rd party cloud solutions.
- Ensure code can be deployed using Azure DevOps
- Design and query database tables, views, functions, stored procedures and batch processes.
- Support and research issues across all application layers and database.
- Learn and understand business processes with limited guidance.
Become a subject matter expert for GS1 Data Systems & Services supporting a variety of technology areas that may include, existing registry services, architecture migrations, GS1 Standards implementations and Cloud technologies. This includes managing and overseeing the functioning of diverse groups of global industry and GS1 Member organizations, providing expert input on, the relevant GS1 standards, advancing or assisting in the creation of new GS1 standards, technology implementations of GS1 Standards, and services deployments within the GS1 Cloud platform.
Manage complex targeted projects. This includes the gathering of business requirements as well as their translation to a technical specification. Support initiatives that span the breadth of the GS1 system.
Focus on the analysis, design and development of solutions for our community in a team environment. You will collaborate with functional and industry specialists to assist with execution of solutions. He/she will maintain a focus on detail to ensure deliverables are of the highest calibre, while ensuring that work products are cohesive with the overall landscape.
The ideal candidate is motivated to deliver high quality work to drive customer satisfaction. This person uses their intellect, insight and the ability to influence to build creative solutions with colleagues and community while embracing a collaborative mind-set.
You will be surrounded by people who are smart and passionate about consumer products and e-commerce. You will be working across multiple industries along with a global, diverse and multi-lingual business and technology teams. You will analyse complex business requirements as well as design solutions related to business processes, data ingestion, and data integration between internal and external systems. You will have to be able to juggle competing priorities and navigate through the technical and/or business constraints around a problem in order to drive towards a solution. This includes working with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the features being developed are not only meet but surpass their requirements and expectations.
- At least 5 years of consulting or client service delivery experience on Azure
- At least 5 years of experience in developing data ingestion, data processing and analytical pipelines for relational databases, NoSQL and data warehouse solutions
- Extensive experience providing practical direction within Azure, natively - Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in Azure technologies such as Powershell, C#, Java, Node.js, Python, SQL, and streaming technologies such as Kafka, EventHub, NiFI etc.
- Extensive hands-on experience implementing data migration and data processing using Azure services: Networking, Windows/Linux virtual machines, Container, Storage, ELB, AutoScaling, Azure Functions, Serverless Architecture, ARM Templates, Azure SQL DB/DW, Data Factory, Azure Stream Analytics, Azure Analysis Service, HDInsight, Databricks Azure Data Catalog, Cosmo Db, ML Studio, AI/ML, etc.
- Experience with JSON, JSON-LD, XML data structures
- Experience with SDLC products (JIRA, Confluence, Github, etc) or similar agile project management tools
- Cloud migration methodologies and processes including tools like Azure Data Factory, Event Hub, etc.
- 5+ years of hands on experience in programming languages such as Java 8, c#, node.js, python, SQL, Unix shell/Perl scripting etc.
- Minimum of 5 years of RDBMS experience
- Experience with private and public cloud architectures, pros/cons, and migration considerations.
- Bachelors or higher degree in Computer Science or a related discipline.
- Microsoft Azure certifications are a plus.
- DevOps on an Azure platform
- Experience developing and deploying ETL solutions on Azure
- IoT, event-driven, microservices, containers/Kubernetes in the cloud
- Familiarity with the technology stack available in the industry for metadata management: Data Governance, Data Quality, MDM, Lineage, Data Catalog etc.
- Proven ability to build, manage and foster a team-oriented environment
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Desire to work in an information systems environment
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and time-management skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with both highly-technical and non-technical persons seamlessly
- Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
How to apply:
Send your application with CV to:
- Blue Tower, Avenue Louise 326, bte 10
- B-1050 Brussels, Belgium
- Tel: + 32 2 788 78 00
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Responses will be treated quickly and with strict confidentiality.