GS1 develops and maintains the most widely used identification standards that are fundamental to numerous enterprises around the world. Five decades ago, we started by helping food retailers do business more efficiently and reduce consumer prices. Today, GS1 standards improve the efficiency, safety and visibility of supply chains across physical and digital channels in 25 sectors, including retail, e-commerce & marketplaces, healthcare, transport and logistics, food service, technical industries and humanitarian logistics. Our scale and reach with local Member Organisations in 116 markets, more than 2 million user companies and 6 billion transactions every day – help ensure that GS1 standards create a common language that supports systems and processes across the globe.
GS1 develops and maintains the most widely used identification standards that are fundamental to numerous enterprises around the world. The best-known symbol of GS1 standards is the barcode, named by the BBC as one of “the 50 things that made the world economy”. The responsibility for the successful candidate will be to lead the CPG/FMCG/Grocery part of the retail sector at the GS1 Global Office. You will work closely with GS1’s global retail and public policy teams distributed over three continents to support Member Organisations around the world. You will partner with the GS1 product and subject matter experts to drive adoption and use of GS1 standards and services in areas related to operational efficiency, inventory management, traceability, sustainability, etc.
In this role you will have the opportunity to drive change in the way that commerce happens around the world. The individual in this role must have a strong understanding of the needs and operations of Brands/Retailers and will need to create compelling stories to show the value and need for global standards for this sector. To accomplish your objectives, you will facilitate meetings and engagements (physical, virtual and hybrid), with colleagues across the 116 countries of the GS1 federation as well as with external industry partners, global industry associations, and other relevant stakeholders. You will monitor and report relevant industry developments, innovation in the sector and global trends that can influence the adoption and use of GS1 standards and trigger standards development needs. You will work on creating internal and external materials, drafting collateral, and coordinating external engagement efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives for the 116 GS1 Member Organisations (MOs).
Retail is a core sector of GS1 and we are looking for a person with deep understanding of the sector with extensive experience working for a brand owner, a retailer or both to join the team at GS1 and work on further developing this important sector in alignment with the with the global GS1 strategy.
• Support GS1 Retail in developing and implementing the strategy for the sector to support Member Organisations as they drive adoption of the GS1 system, services and standards in CPG/ FMCG/Grocery
• To lead the Community Engagement of the CPG/FMCG/Grocery sector (Primarily with GS1 MOs but also Global Associations)
• Coordinate and lead all CPG/FMCG/Grocery related activities of the Global Office
• Champion the CPG/FMCG/Grocery sector and drive through leadership in GS1
• Represent GS1 in Industry initiatives around emerging retail practices or other sector requirements
• Manage GS1 interface with CPG/FMCG/Grocery communities at a global/multi-country level, with full involvement and support to and from GS1 MOs
• Support Community Engagement, the customer understanding and customer needs for CPG/FMCG/Grocery based solutions and services
• In collaboration with the appropriate GS1 functions, prepare the business requirements / Statement of Business Needs documents related to CPG/FMCG/Grocery standards and services development work
• Lead and develop training, marketing and deployment content with appropriate internal partners
• Support and monitor the progress of CPG/FMCG/Grocery related standards developments in the Global Standard Management Process ( GSMP ) and liaise with users to ensure alignment with industry expectations
• Develop and maintain 3-year plan for sector
• Provide guidance on proper use and implementation of existing GS1 standards in CPG/FMCG/Grocery
• Provide education to MOs on business processes and implementation best practices and support creation of local engagement plans
• Work with MOs to develop business cases for GS1 adoption in the CPG/FMCG/Grocery sector
• Develop and facilitate industry alliances and procure endorsements
• Identify and collect existing best practices from the 116 markets of the GS1 federation
• Write, review, edit and update content for internal and external communications
• Lead MO Interest Group meetings for the CPG/FMCG/Grocery sector; develop and lead sessions at GS1’s global events
• Bachelor or master’s degree
• 10-15 years experience in the Retail and CPG/FMCG/Grocery industry with major multinational brand owner(s) or retailer(s)
• Knowledge of and experience in business processes and functional areas including: supply chain, distribution/logistics, merchandising, store operations, or technology • • Verifiable responsibility for successfully managing others, building teams, and business partnerships
• International experience
• Familiarity with GS1 Standards is a strong plus
• Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Works well within a matrix organization and with globally distributed teams
• Mature political sensitivity to work across a diverse community of interests and cultures
• High drive and energy, excellent team-work skills
• Excellent planning, communication and presentation skills
• Client focused approach
• Fluent in English, oral and written is mandatory, any other languages are an asset
• Demonstrates passion, energy, and drive in his/her work
• Organisational, analytical, verbal and written communication skills
• Hands-on experience with Microsoft PowerPoint, Teams, Excel, Outlook, Word, Zoom.
• Ability to effectively communicate with both highly technical and non-technical persons seamlessly
Travel Requirements: This job may require up to 10% regional / global travel.
Send your application with CV to:
Responses will be treated quickly and with strict confidentiality.