President Industry Engagement and Standards Development
The Director will have full responsibility for the execution of projects and programmes that advance the adoption of GS1 standards across the General Merchandise and Apparel, Fashion and Footwear (AFF) sectors (including sportswear, accessories and jewellery). You will collaborate with functional and industry specialists to contribute to the growth of these global sectors. You will be responsible for the development, growth and quality execution of all GS1 business development opportunities in these industries. You will also be accountable for other related activities including Member Organisation relationship management.
The Director at GS1 will work intimately with the 112 GS1 Member Organisations (MOs) around the world to ensure that GS1 brings value to its members. This job may have responsibility for managing external committees or other groups.
Objectives of the position:
The Apparel & General Merchandise sectors are undergoing fundamental change. Together with stakeholders from GS1 Member Organisations and industry the Director will work on central sector topics and also project work such as the adoption of Global Model Number (GMN) for Apparel, alignment and integration of multiple Apparel & General Merchandise data models into the Global Data Model (GDM) work, certain Traceability and Circular Economies for Apparel products and new developments in Travel Retail.
- Champion the adoption and implementation of GS1 standards in the Apparel and General Merchandise sectors.
- Engage and consult with all community stakeholders (all functional areas) to understand their business requirements related to GS1 standards and Solutions
- Further the development of the GS1 System by driving its adoption, leveraging GS1 Standards and Solutions in the Apparel and General Merchandise sectorsContinuously monitor and assess MO developments and needs
- Coordinate all AFF- and General Merchandise-related activities at Global Office
- Support pre-GSMP phase of standards development work related to the AFF and General Merchandise sectors
- Present at public forums (conferences, seminars, exhibitions) to raise GS1 awareness and help increase the adoption of GS1 standards
- Execute projects and programmes to advance the GS1 strategy in the AFF & GM sector.
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with collaborating industries and GS1 Member Organisations (MO) and promote industry alliances and procure endorsements
- Identify and develop value propositions for the AFF and General Merchandise sectors in collaboration with the Marketing lead.
- Engagement Management – Manage engagement risk, project economics including planning and budgeting, defining deliverable content and ensuring buy-in of proposed solutions from all constituents.
- Research, build and share expertise with team members through development and delivery of case studies, white papers, learning materials, and other resources to elevate knowledge of GS1 Apparel-related solutions and standards.
- Lead and manage cross-functional relations especially with EPC and EDI technical Subject Matter Expert, Marketing Lead, Omni-channel Lead and Innovation Lead.
- Compile an overview of Apparel sector-related projects (proof of concept, pilot and deployment)
- Lead monthly MO Interest Group meetings, issue minutes, coordinate / follow-up on actions
- Organising subject-matter workshops both during GS1 events and separately.
- Participate in MO User Groups meetings (Apparel)
- Provide support to work groups in GSMP on development of global standards and guidelines
The candidate must possess:
Motivation to deliver high quality work to drive customer satisfaction. This person uses his/her intellect, insight and the ability to influence to build creative solutions with colleagues and community while embracing a collaborative mind-set.
Additional requirements include:
- 10-15 years of supply chain, sales, business development experience
- Experience in Retail, Consumer Goods, Transport & Logistics or Solution Provider sectors
- Experience in the Apparel sector and/or in developing or implementing GS1 Standards would be a strong plus
- Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly at an executive level, with excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Strategic Thinker - ability to identify, assess and synthesize information about the GS1 System, especially EPC and EDI, and standards opportunities and their current or future relevance
- Exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills within a team environment
- Boundary Spanning Effectiveness - Can get things done across multi-functional areas; works well within a matrix organisation.
- Strong Microsoft Office suite skills: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (Visio and Access are pluses)
- Excellent time management skills
- Attention to detail
- Team player
- Fluency in English, oral and written is mandatory
- Inspirational Leadership to engage and align global communities
- Experience in a business consulting environment
- Ability to work with and lead globally distributed teams
- Ability to effectively communicate with both highly-technical and non-technical persons seamlessly
- Mature diplomatic sensitivity to work across a diverse community of interests and cultures
- Effective relationship builder – one on one, one to many, internally and externally, small and large organizations
- Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- High drive and energy
This job may require up to 30% global travel.
How to apply:
Send your application with CV to:
- Blue Tower, Avenue Louise 326, bte 10
- B-1050 Brussels, Belgium
- Tel: + 32 2 788 78 00
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Responses will be treated quickly and with strict confidentiality.