Ewing (New Jersey)
Senior Director of AIDC
29 October 2020
GS1 develops and maintains the most widely used identification standards that are fundamental to numerous enterprises around the world. The best-known symbol of GS1 standards is the barcode, named by the BBC as one of “the 50 things that made the world economy”. Four decades ago, we started by helping food retailers do business more efficiently and reduce consumer prices. Today, GS1 standards improve the efficiency, safety and visibility of supply chains across physical and digital channels in 25 sectors, including retail, marketplaces, healthcare, transport and logistics, food service, technical industries and humanitarian logistics. Our scale and reach – local Member Organisations (MOs) in 115 countries, 2 million user companies and 6 billion transactions every day – help ensure that GS1 standards create a common language that supports systems and processes across the globe.
Assist with the Development and delivery user driven, consensus based global standards. This includes analysis of Automatic Identification and Data Capture (AIDC) data carriers, creating and sharing visibility event data via Electronic Product Code Information Services (EPCIS), evaluating Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) for businesses electronically communicating information (purchase orders and invoices) and other GS1 standards. Managing/overseeing AIDC lab work and working with diverse groups of user companies, providing fact-based input on both the pertinent business practices and the GS1 system are all with in scope of this role. This role supports GS1 Global Office’s valuable user organizations.
✓ GS1 community team support for:
- Sub-team coordination of external technical groups and GS1 Member Organisations (MO) technical teams
- Collection & mgmt. of development materials supporting multiple efforts
✓ Support GS1 “Subject Matter Experts” for Work Requests (document of record for new standards or changes to existing standards) as it passes through to publication such as:
- Analyst and support for AIDC standards/guidelines, including the GS1 General Specifications
- EDI Semantic analysis and collateral editorial support
- EPCIS event data analysis and collateral editorial support
- GPC (Global Product Classification) grouping analysis
- GS1 General Specifications publication for quality check
✓ Support Community Engagement, Helpdesk, Training departments (focus on SME topics)
✓ Coordinate and prepare assigned strategic work documents/collateral
- Knowledge Transfer tools
- SME related programmes
✓ Assist GS1 representative to external standards-based communities (ISO/IEC JTC1 / SC31)
- Creation of Liaison reporting & updates to SME Team Lead
✓ Ongoing support for AIDC Test Lab:
- Project management for testing, creation of findings reports, etc.
✓ Support Pilot / Prototype of standards including reporting, document coordination, project mgmt., etc.
✓ Develop communication materials on SME team developments for GS1 & external audiences
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university as well as 2 years related experience and contact with: Trading Partners, Solution Providers or 3rd Party Logistics Providers in one or more of the following areas: Transport & Logistics, Retail, Healthcare and/or printing, packaging.
- Familiarity with barcode and RFID technologies as they are currently being implemented in the marketplace.
- A working knowledge of the GS1 system is required to ensure that decisions made are in conformance with and maintain the integrity of the GS1 system.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and facilitation skills; problem solving and negotiation skills; conflict resolution skills.
- Knowledge of data analytics, skilled in the use of MS Excel, SQL, business intelligence tools such as Power BI.
- Fluent in English, oral and written is mandatory
- Demonstrates passion, energy, and drive in his/her work
- Ability to work with globally distributed team
- Organizational, analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Hands-on experience with Microsoft PowerPoint, Teams, Excel, Outlook, Word, Zoom.
- Ability to effectively communicate with both highly technical and non-technical persons seamlessly
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent time management skills
- Client-focused and results-oriented
- Ability to effectively cope with change and comfortably handle risk and uncertainty
- Mature political sensitivity to work across a diverse community of interests and cultures
- Effective relationship builder – one on one, one to many, internally and externally, small and large organisations
- Boundary Spanning Effectiveness - can get things done across multi-functional areas; works well within a matrix organization
- Generates innovative solutions in work situations
- Operates in a manner that demonstrates honesty; keeps promises and honours commitments (“walks the talk”); behaves in a consistent manner
This job may require up to 20% global travel.
How to apply:
Send your application with CV to:
- Blue Tower, Avenue Louise 326, bte 10
- B-1050 Brussels, Belgium
- Tel: + 32 2 788 78 00
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Responses will be treated quickly and with strict confidentiality.