Director Global Marketing
07 October 2021
GS1 develops and maintains the most widely used identification standards that are fundamental to numerous enterprises around the world. The best-known symbol of GS1 standards is the barcode, named by the BBC as one of “the 50 things that made the world economy”. Four decades ago, we started by helping food retailers do business more efficiently and reduce consumer prices. Today, GS1 standards improve the efficiency, safety and visibility of supply chains across physical and digital channels in 25 sectors, including retail, marketplaces, healthcare, transport and logistics, food service, technical industries and humanitarian logistics. Our scale and reach – local Member Organisations (MOs) in 115 countries, 2 million user companies and 6 billion transactions every day – help ensure that GS1 standards create a common language that supports systems and processes across the globe.
The Marketing Retail & Marketplaces Director is responsible for developing marketing strategies and executing their operational implementations in the Retail/Marketplaces sectors, including Apparel, CPG, Fresh Foods and General Merchandise.
Primary responsibilities of the position include leading the development of marketing plans for Retail/Marketplaces and their execution in alignment with the GS1 Global Office team and GS1 local Member Organisations (MOs) business plans. He/she will also manage the development and implementation of comprehensive communication programs and provide MOs with best-in-class marketing materials.
The person will also be responsible for evaluating the end-to-end customer experience across online channels and supports the development of digital/social customer experience strategy and plans for Global Office and with our local MOs to ensure consistency and sharing of best practices.
The Marketing Retail & Marketplaces Director will be expected to become one of the strong contributors of the Marketing department and an active and engaged member of broader Retail/Marketplaces team. She/he will also be expected to create a global Digital Marketing community to leverage know-how and actively shares best practices.
• Develop and update the marketing strategy on regular basis to gain senior management support for strategic initiatives and market development activities
• Lead the implementation of the marketing plans, in full alignment with MO’s engaged in Retail/Marketplaces. Manage the creation of all advertising, digital marketing, social media, marketing content and related items to company standards and within budgets
• Offer necessary customer insights/recommend appropriate market research to drive the building and delivering of transformative digital strategies, overseeing the development of our content strategy and subsequent implementation across digital/social channels.
• Demonstrate a deep understanding of the full mix of digital marketing and act as subject matter expert reference point for latest developments in around ecommerce, digital promotion, social media, marketing automation, web analytics, etc.
• Measure success of all key initiatives against pre-defined objectives to ensure that all new marketing activities will add value
• Monitor compliance to our branding strategy and deploy brand equity and communication strategies for GS1 in Retail/Marketplaces, in line with the overall marketing and communication strategy
• Keep abreast with trends in the industry and share information with other departments
• Manage the marketing budgets for Retail/Marketplaces
• Bachelor or master’s degree with at least 12+ years of related experience
• Strategic and operational marketing
• Extensive experience in Retail/FMCG and/or in digital/technology company is mandatory.
• The candidate will be digital savvy and have strong understanding of all digital marketing channels and experience with digitalisation of the customer experience.
• B2B service marketing experience is a plus.
• Mastery of English, in particular written business English is mandatory. English native speaker is a plus
• International experience is required
• To be based in Princeton, US
Strong marketing strategic & executional leadership is expected from the candidate, including creativity and sense to “make things big”. However, the candidate also needs to reach consensus with other departments and need to have strong customer orientation / flexibility / diplomacy skills.
Additional required skills are:
• Demonstrates passion, energy, and drive in his/her work
• Ability to work with globally distributed team
• Organizational, analytical, verbal and written communication skills
• To be active, engaged and advanced in digital matters: usage, practice, agility, including usage of social media
• Hands-on experience with Microsoft PowerPoint, Teams, Excel, Outlook, Word, Zoom.
• Ability to effectively communicate with both highly technical and non-technical persons seamlessly
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and excellent time management skills
• Client-focused and results-oriented
• Ability to effectively cope with change and comfortably handle risk and uncertainty
• Mature political sensitivity to work across a diverse community of interests and cultures
• Effective relationship builder – one on one, one to many, internally and externally, small and large organisations
• Can get things done across multi-functional areas; works well within a matrix organization
• Generates innovative solutions in work situations
• Operates in a manner that demonstrates honesty; keeps promises and honours commitments (“walks the talk”); behaves in a consistent manner
This job may require up to 10% global travel.
Send your application with CV to:
Responses will be treated quickly and with strict confidentiality.