GS1 Digital Link
The GS1 Digital Link standard extends the power and flexibility of GS1 identifiers by making them part of the web. That means that GS1 identifiers, such as the GTIN, are now a gateway to consumer information that strengthens brand loyalty, improved supply chain traceability information, business partner APIs, patient safety information and more.
Where a URL typically points to a single, specific website, GS1 Digital Link enables connections to all types of business-to-business and business-to-consumer information. If you’re adding a QR code or NFC tag to a product, using the GS1 standard means you’re not only providing a URL for people to scan, you’re also carrying GS1 identifiers – the same identifiers relied upon throughout industry – and following a non-proprietary, no vendor-lock system. This means the brand owner remains in complete control but can still link to any number of information sources, all from one symbol, saving space and improving efficiency.
More specifically, in Healthcare, the GS1 Digital Link standard helps reinforce the One-barcode initiative. Meaning, manufacturers, distributors and hospitals will still use the ubiquitous barcode for years to come, for many different purposes like traceability and point-of-care scanning. Yet, now with GS1 Digital Link, they have the opportunity of using a single barcode to access digital information about the product.
With the publication of Release 1.2, GS1 Digital Link is expected to move to a GSMP Standard Maintainance Group which will update and improve the standard at a yet to be determined schedule.
Find out more
- GS1 Digital Link Implementation Guideline (Global Edition) (Feb 2020)
- GS1 Digital Link Flyer: Connect your customers to the product info they want and need (2-pager)
- GS1 Digital Link Flyer: Connect your customers to the product info they want and need (4-pager)
- GS1 Digital Link in Healthcare: A single barcode for identification, authentication and access to information for medical products
- Information for developers
- Press release for GS1 Digital Link
- GS1 Mobile Ready Hero Images Guideline
- Article on GS1 Digital Link in La Repubblica
- Article on GS1 Digital Link in Retail Insights
- Article 'GS1 Digital Link: A Gateway Towards Trillions of Digital Twins'
- DRAFT GS1 Digital Link Release 1.1 Public Community Review (posted 17 June 2019)